Here are versions of the VERY GREATEST MUSIC (in our opinion), centrally from J. S. Bach, that can be adapted for the people’s instrument—alto recorder—and keyboard, for alto and bass recorder duet, and other combinations.
Our promise: Recorder players will never in this website be at a loss for a challenge or for a high quality of music, at a low price.
- About this Site
- Background of this Project
- Level of Difficulty
- Technical Problems Addressed
by Pieces on this Site
Uses of these transcriptions:
- Études for technique improvement.
- Ways of becoming acquainted with a wide swath of musical history, much of which is little known, such as Bach cantata obbligatos.
- Secondary emphasis on bass recorder repertoire, including solos without the sneaking suspicion that the alto is more appropriate.
- Don’t listen to great music and consider it done, but continue discovering it from the inside by playing it in transcription. Expand your recorder horizons!
- And of course, put these on your concert programs.
A few suggestions, from our vast Catalog:
Arrangements for alto and kbd.
- Ever a favorite: BWV 650, “Kommst du nun”
- Organ Preludes BWV 659, 655 & 553, Prelude & Fugue BWV 864, 880, Arias, etc. from Cantata 56, 94, 97, 58/5, 157, 205, 14, 99, 51, 212, Lute Suite No. 1, BWV 996. For bass & kbd: the “Deathbed” Chorale, Lento assai from Beethoven’s Op. 135
- For advanced players: arr. of 7 concertos, 5 organ trio sonatas, 3rd and 4th Cello Suites, all with newly composed bass lines, “Dorian” Toccata, BWV 540/1, 541, 542, 544/1, 827 complete, 871, selected Mvmts. from 807, 810, 826, Goldberg Variations 13 & 25, the complete “Italian Concerto”, Arias, etc., from Cantata 7, 114, 58/3, 29, the complete 1029 (slow mvmt. featured in the film “Truly, Madly, Deeply”)
- Mozart Overtures to Cosi fan tutte and Magic Flute, a growing list of Sonatas da Chiesa, K. 60, 144, 244, 245, 263, 278, 328, & 336, Mahler’s famous Adagietto, “Das himmlische Leben”, the exquisite Schubert fragment, D. 571,
- 11 large (c. 40-80 pp.) groupings—very inexpensive—of solo pts. from the following sections: 1. Bach Concertos 2. Bach Organ music 3. Bach Keyboard Works, Pt. One 4. Bach Keyboard Works Pt. Two 5. Bach Chamber Works, Pt. One 6. Bach Misc. Chamber & Vocal Works 7. Bach Cantatas 8. Pre-Mozart 9. Early Mozart 10. Later Mozart & Early 19th c. 11. Post-Schubert
Arrangements for recorder duet/trio/quartet, etc.
- Complete W. F. Bach Flute (6) and Viola (3) duets transcribed for 2 altos
- many duets for alto/bass (or S/T), e.g. an arr. of Schubert Cm sonata finale, 2nd theme, and Mahler’s “Rheinlegendchen” and “Von der Jugend”
- Set of 24 Duets from Mediæval to Mahler, primarily for soprano & alto
- Set of 30 English Country Dances arr. for S&A
- 8 Tunes from the Bird Fancyer’s Delight arr. for S&A
- The sublime Bach’s Cantata 4/3, arr. for 3 recs.
(and many, many more in 5 different categories, ever-growing as long as Arranger Scheide can draw breath)